Comments, Feedback on the new Upgrades

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Hi Julia! Love your new look!

Yes, that's the 0K that is used for registration and apparently for some changes to the profile as well. It's the number and letter characters they are asking for ... not an image.

Guest LilBambi

Actually, I have found and was able to add items to top navigation, determining the code they are using for that link is the issue. It's not the actual link.

Guest LilBambi

Found it! It was not in the skin or navigation at all. It was in the configuration files.

So it's fixed! We will all be very happy to not be accidentally clicking it thinking it's the Home for the forums! Yea! :blissysmile:

V.T. Eric Layton

Awww... I kinda' miss visiting Scot's inactive blog at least two or three times daily. I'll bet he's wondering where the increased visitor activity on his old site came from this past week or so. ;)

Guest LilBambi

OK, we just have a single entry for clicking on the forums along the top. I will add Scot's Newsletter Blog back further to the right on the top navigation.

Also, great news, we have our Upcoming Calendar Events and Birthday(s) Today back! You see those two entries above the Recent Topics in the Right sidebar on the main page of the forums!

Yea!

securitybreach

Very nice Fran, I enjoy participating om the birthday thread. Nice to show our users that we care (as if they did not already know). ;)

All joking aside, it does feel nice to have friends and other members wishing you a happy birthday and such. That said, what are some of the other functions of the calendar? I know things like anniversaries are posted but what other things get posted?

V.T. Eric Layton

Most board software provides some sort of calendar function. It's useful for alerting members to upcoming baloney. :)

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

I'm not too skilled in word processing utilities, but can at least open them and use a limited subset of the many tools. I didn't know CTRL+B, I'll try working with that. Thanks!

Cluttermagnet, do you use word processing software? This WYSIWYG editor takes a lot from that. For instance, you can Ctrl+B to get bold text, without having to type the BBCode out (although you can, as [b and /b] will still work). You can also highlight words you've already typed to format them using the buttons. (Though not everything you use in a word processor will work. For instance, Ctrl+E would center your text in Word, and took me to my URL bar instead)

You also don't need to hit the light switch to type your BBCode manually. I didn't to bold this, for example. I'm more used to typing with BBCode because I do it all the time.

edit: although you can hit the light switch to see what BBCode the editor is applying, since it hides most of it.

Guest LilBambi

And of course, while in the editor box:

Ctrl-A to select all the text in the window

Ctrl-C to copy highlighted text

Ctrl-V to paste copied text

Ctrl-X to cut highlighted text

Ctrl-Z to undo most recent action

Cluttermagnet

CTRL-ATL-DELETE to fix many MS Windows issues. ;)

:hysterical:

Thanks, guys. I was amazed that I actually did know several of these- CTRL-C and CTRL-V, also CTRL-z undo.

CTRL-B, I, and U were semi-new, but are at least intuitive due to the letters that were chosen.

• 10 months later...

Hi -

Not sure what I did to cause this one.

The edit menu in post reply is completely greyed out for me; cannot click on anything -

jjntch.png

I can manually insert/add BB tags - works fine.

Also, I don't see any option to upload attachments. Do you allow attachments?

Thank you for your help,

John

V.T. Eric Layton

You're in plain text edit mode. There's a little light switch-looking thing in the upper left of the menu bar in the message posting area. Click on that and it will go back to rich text mode.

We may not allow attachments here. Most folks use offsite servers these days, particularly for images. I can't remember if we ever allowed attachments, to tell you the truth. I don't use that feature.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Yep, click that little Light Switch icon and you will be good to go. :yes:

Yes, Pastebin, Dropbox, etc. work great for postings for logs, etc.

Thank you - clicking the "light switch" turned the editor menu's lights back on! :yes:

qz3at4.png

I completely understand the reasoning behind your policy re: attachments (space, space, space!!) & agree with you that numerous viable alternatives exist. Last check showed Sysnative's space utilization well over 2 GB & climbing.

I asked primarily because of UCP selection - http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=attachments

Edited by jcgriff2

V.T. Eric Layton

These days, it's not so much space as security. Most hosting companies offer immense space and unlimited bandwidth usage. However there can be serious security issues when allowing uploading of malicious attachment files to the server.

Glad you got the wysiwyg editor working. And welcome back to Scot's, John! Here's hoping you'll visit more often. We don't bite really. We do have the occasional flea infestation, though. ;)

Later...

~Eric

• Like 1