Game on Linux

rakemup

Nice link, downloaded a few of them.THanks
Which ones ??I'm looking forward to Yo Frankie if I manage to get Arch installed tomorrow :( Tried to run it under Mandy but had issues with the right Blender version so gave up. Can not have a retry as Mandy has been wiped from me life :bye2: I think I'll try Wolfenstein on 7 just to cheer meself up, shooting krauts is way better than crying over lost loves :hysterical:

securitybreach
Which ones ??I'm looking forward to Yo Frankie if I manage to get Arch installed tomorrow :( Tried to run it under Mandy but had issues with the right Blender version so gave up. Can not have a retry as Mandy has been wiped from me life :bye2: I think I'll try Wolfenstein on 7 just to cheer meself up, shooting krauts is way better than crying over lost loves :hysterical:
I installed freedroid and glest (actually MegaGlest). Most all of the games are in the Arch repos including Wolfenstein. There are lots of different versions/mods of Wolfenstein ET available on the Arch repos.

Thanks for the link! I installed LinCity (which was available through Synaptic, incidentally) and got totally distracted by playing it for the last few hours. :hysterical:

Thanks for the link! I installed LinCity (which was available through Synaptic, incidentally) and got totally distracted by playing it for the last few hours. :hysterical:
Did you get lincity-ng? It's more recent and prettier than the original.

I installed freedroid and glest (actually MegaGlest). Most all of the games are in the Arch repos including Wolfenstein. There are lots of different versions/mods of Wolfenstein ET available on the Arch repos.
Freedroid is neat I played some of it a couple of years ago but got stuck :hysterical: I'll have to give it another go.
Freedroid is neat I played some of it a couple of years ago but got stuck :unsure: I'll have to give it another go.

neat.i'm seeing in stereo... :P :D :lol:
That is either DT's from too much celebrating or too many hours playing Painkiller, both can cause twitchy finger :hysterical:

Arch is based on Debian isn't it? That would explain all those games being in the repositories. Bruno once sent me a copy of Debian it included 14 cds, there was everything I could imagine in there.I was kind of hoping that Yo Frankie! would be in the repos for PCLinuxOS but so far no luck. I don't know if any of those games are there actually.

securitybreach
Arch is based on Debian isn't it? That would explain all those games being in the repositories. Bruno once sent me a copy of Debian it included 14 cds, there was everything I could imagine in there.I was kind of hoping that Yo Frankie! would be in the repos for PCLinuxOS but so far no luck. I don't know if any of those games are there actually.
No Archlinux is not based upon Debian, if anything it was originally based upon Crux Linux:Arch Compared to Other Distributions
Judd Vinet, a Canadian programmer and occasional guitarist, began developing Arch Linux in early 2001. Its first formal release, Arch Linux 0.1, was on March 11, 2002. Inspired by the elegant simplicity of Slackware, Polish Linux Distribution, and CRUX, and yet disappointed with the lack of package management; Vinet built his own distribution on similar principles as those distros. But, he also wrote a package management program called pacman, to automatically handle package installation, removal, and upgrades.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/History_of_Arch_LinuxArchlinux has 8,779 official packages and another 26,748 in the community repos (AUR).

securitybreach
Thanks for the information. The fact that it was developed by a Canadian makes it even more interesting, at least to a fellow Canadian :lol:
:hysterical:

This link was posted on the PCLinuxOS forum but I think these games should work in most versions of Linux. I did find some of them already in the repos for PCLinuxOS, not all of them though. I installed Dosbox but so far can't seem to save in any of the games which isn't great when playing a sim or rpg.

"Play Bioware's Infinity Engine Games PlaneScape Torment, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale Natively on LinuxBioware's Infinity Engine was home to many great games in past that totally defined RPG game genre with deep storyline, engaging gameplay, isometric graphics, and dungeons and dragons rules based gameplay. Almost all the games under infinity engine became hugely popular and are even today considered to be best games in their genre with huge dedicated fan base.Games Based on Infinity Engine: * Bladur's Gate I and expansion pack Tales From The Sword Coast * Planescape : Torment * Icewind Dale I and expansion packs: Heart of Winter and Trials of Luremaster * Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and expansion Throne of Bhaal * Icewind Dale IIThese all time classic games can be played natively on Linux thanks to project called GemRB.About GemRBGemRB (Game Engine Made with Pre-Rendered Background) is a "port" (actually a new implementation) of the original Infinity Engine to Linux/Unix, Mac OSX and Windows with some enhancements. "http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/01/play-bi...gine-games.htmlThis looks like an interesting development if you play those games. :thumbsup:

Nice link, I installed a few of themThanks
Josh, have you tried Linux_Gamers LIiive its a live DVD from Germany based on Arch Linux here is some of the gamesGames only available on the big edition are underlined.
Armagetron Advanced - Tron-likeAstroMenace - space shooterBlobby Volley 2 - beach ballChromium B.S.U. - space shooterExtreme Tux Racer - downhill racingfoobillard - billardFrozen Bubble - puzzleLBreakout2 - Breakout-like, puzzleLTris - Tetris-likeNeverball - puzzleNeverputt - minigolfOsmos (demo) - ambient puzzlePingus - Lemmings-like, puzzleSecret Maryo Chronicles - jump and runTeeworlds - actionWorld of Goo (Demo) - puzzleXMoto - motocrossFrets On Fire - musicGlest - real-time strategyHedgewars - Worms-like, artilleryLinCity-NG - city plannerManiadrive - Trackmania-like, racingNexuiz - first person shooterOpenLieroX - actionOpenTTd - industry plannerSauerbraten - first person shooterScorched 3D - artillerySuperTuxKart - kart racingTremulous - first person shooterUrban Terror - first person shooterWarsow - first person shooterWarzone 2100 - real-time stategyWesnoth - turn-based strategy, fantasyWidelands - real-time strategyWorld Of Padman - first person shooter

Yes, I have tried it in the past. I may have to download an updated copy. Thanks for reminding me of the project :hysterical:
I haven't tried this one either was curious how good or bad it was? another one that i heard of was supergamer
This release is 7.8GB
dual layer dvd full of games. Wonder how good that is?

Pretty neat, of course I do not have any dual layer dvds :)
I have tried this os out in the past and it is pretty good most of the games worked fine. You can get a ordinary DVD from the download page. B)"The SuperGamer-VL2 Disks are available now.The SuperGamer-VL2 is the update to the SuperGamer-VL "Big Mamma" release with new custom graphics and some additional Games. We took off America's Army and put on Quake Wars and a few smaller games. This LiveDVD is 4.2gb. We just released the SuperGamer-VL2 Disks. We will add the torrents to each iso in the following days. Additional information will soon follow as well on where download these New Releases.The SuperGamer-VL "Big Mamma" is the first release on a new base with support for both NVIDIA and ATI cards. This release featured a new kernel and updated games and is 4.3gb in size while still containing the capabilities to be used as a normal desktop. This release is also being seeded. "http://supergamer.org/ :whistling: Edited by abarbarian

A game I recently found that has the feel like "World of Goo" is called "Caph". From a review: It is a sandbox game, based on physics. The game aim is to make contact red object with green object. You can use various objects, solid, wire (rope), and bendable objects. Gravitation will help you. I haven't found much in the way of help yet ie: saving a game so you don't always start at the beginning....

A game I recently found that has the feel like "World of Goo" is called "Caph". From a review: It is a sandbox game, based on physics. The game aim is to make contact red object with green object. You can use various objects, solid, wire (rope), and bendable objects. Gravitation will help you. I haven't found much in the way of help yet ie: saving a game so you don't always start at the beginning....
should have known....why didn't I look in the caph doc. file.....hmmmmmm, good idea!

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/01/lutris-...g-platform.html"Lutris is a new gaming platform for Linux that aims at providing easy game installation, configuration and launching system for games. It is different from other services like PlayOnLinux as it integrates a large number of games from a number of different systems that includes console emulators also.Currently it supports games from following platforms: * Native Linux games * Windows games under Wine * Many arcade based games * Amiga 500, 600, 1200 * Atari 2600, 800, 800XL, 130XE, 5200, ST, STE, TT, Lynx * Bandai WonderSwan, WonderSwan Color * Browser games like Quake Live, Minecraft or Flash based games * Commmodore VIC-20, C64, C128, CBM-II, PLUS/4 * LucasArt SCUMM based games (Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, ...) * Magnavox Odyssey², Videopac+ * Mattel Intellivision * Microsoft MSX, MS-DOS * NEC PC-Engine Turbographx 16, Supergraphx, PC-FX * Nintendo NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Gamecube * Sega Master Sytem, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast * SNK Neo Geo, Neo Geo Pocket * Sony Playstation * Z-Machine games like Zork"Phew it will be awesome if it works well :(

securitybreach
http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/01/lutris-...g-platform.html"Lutris is a new gaming platform for Linux that aims at providing easy game installation, configuration and launching system for games. It is different from other services like PlayOnLinux as it integrates a large number of games from a number of different systems that includes console emulators also.Currently it supports games from following platforms: * Native Linux games * Windows games under Wine * Many arcade based games * Amiga 500, 600, 1200 * Atari 2600, 800, 800XL, 130XE, 5200, ST, STE, TT, Lynx * Bandai WonderSwan, WonderSwan Color * Browser games like Quake Live, Minecraft or Flash based games * Commmodore VIC-20, C64, C128, CBM-II, PLUS/4 * LucasArt SCUMM based games (Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, ...) * Magnavox Odyssey², Videopac+ * Mattel Intellivision * Microsoft MSX, MS-DOS * NEC PC-Engine Turbographx 16, Supergraphx, PC-FX * Nintendo NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Gamecube * Sega Master Sytem, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast * SNK Neo Geo, Neo Geo Pocket * Sony Playstation * Z-Machine games like Zork"Phew it will be awesome if it works well :(
That sounds really cool!!

• 8 months later...
Just curious if anyone has tried playing the MMORPG Voyage Century online in Linux? It is supposed to work but I haven't been able to do it.
I looked into it a while back. It's supposed to work under Wine but since I don't like Wine, I didn't bother.You could try Runescape. That works well. :hysterical:

• 4 weeks later...