PCLinuxOS 2010.12

kamicota

OOPS!!! :) must amend this a little--->>>KDE would not Boot at 640 or 800x600 resolution choices while Gnome didAnd this is on the Intel Quad with a stand alone nVidia 8400GS cardCheers for YearsColinOFF to try KDE with the 1024 resolution

Shoot think I need a few--->>> :bangin: :bangin: :bangin: as this is becoming a test of memory and patienceSometime the LESSONS B) do NOT sink inJust remembered had to put Enlightenment on the Intel because of KDE's aversion to what hardware was installed.Yet now on the AMD Quad with --->>>ON BOARD nVidia GeForce 7025 the KDE version booted straight from Live CD.And will see what the now downloading Enlightenment does too because for now it is the Intel that is going to have Enlightenment replaced with a new 23010.12 flavourCheers for YearsColin :)

Took the "Bull by the Horns" so to speak :w00t: --->>>Removed the nVidia GeForce 8400GS stand alone card - thinking we had nVidia on board but :) it is a --->>>‎82G33/G31 Express Integrated GraphicsSo hopefully that other OS :bangin: will recognize this too and any flavor PCLinuxOS will be able to give the better resolutions.So the FORAY into the "NEW YEAR" continues :oops: B) :clap2: :bangin: :worthy: Cheers for YearsColin :bangin:

going to have Enlightenment replaced with a new 23010.12 flavour
Might be waiting a while for that one. B) Sorry, I know it's just a typo but couldn't resist. :) :bangin:

You KNOW ROGER :) wish I had your attention to detail - Enlightenment is gone and shoot :bangin: SO is 2010.12 Gnome and KDE 2010.12 is being installed now.This Intel Video card is giving me palpitations B) Cheers for yearscolin :bangin:

I tried install the kde version of 2010.12 three or four times after booting it with different options. Every time the install froze at around the 80% mark. I eventually installed Minme and built upon that. Ever since I replaced my nvidia card with an ati one - best bang for buck for windows gaming, life has been much more complicated on the linux side of things.

Ever since I replaced my nvidia card with an ati one - best bang for buck for windows gaming, life has been much more complicated on the linux side of things.
That's the main reason I stick with Nvidia. Linux support is much better.I'm probably about to buy a GTX460 as my old 7600GT is straining a little on some graphics intensive stuff on my new 1920 x 1200 monitor. On my RC flight sim the frame rate drops to 45 occasionally where with my old 1280 x 1024 monitor it would always stay at 60 (with Vsync enabled).According to Tom's Hardware December comparison, the GTX460 ties with the HD6850 for bang-for-buck, but can be found a little cheaper. If I felt like blowing 550 bucks, I would buy a GTX580. A single GPU that outperforms the dual GPU 5970 in a number of tests. :D Graphics card price/performance balance has changed many times over the years, so I usually just choose a reasonably priced 3rd tier Nvidia one and have not been disappointed yet.

securitybreach
That's the main reason I stick with Nvidia. Linux support is much better.I'm probably about to buy a GTX460 as my old 7600GT is straining a little on some graphics intensive stuff on my new 1920 x 1200 monitor. On my RC flight sim the frame rate drops to 45 occasionally where with my old 1280 x 1024 monitor it would always stay at 60 (with Vsync enabled).According to Tom's Hardware December comparison, the GTX460 ties with the HD6850 for bang-for-buck, but can be found a little cheaper. If I felt like blowing 550 bucks, I would buy a GTX580. A single GPU that outperforms the dual GPU 5970 in a number of tests. :D Graphics card price/performance balance has changed many times over the years, so I usually just choose a reasonably priced 3rd tier Nvidia one and have not been disappointed yet.
Yeah I have 3 nvidia 9800s running 3-way SLI and they work beautifully. I have to admit, I have not used an ATI card in many years but I have heard bad things with their linux support. I use Nvidia because it just works (after the driver installation anyway).

Just a frustrating update :w00t: Well removed the EVGA 8400GS andd left the intel onboard intact.All three flavours booted no problemSo replaced Enlightenment with KDE 2010.12 and the monitor and card resolution is 1680x1050 But the kde 2010.12 only shows about a half of the home icon. so tried 2010.12 Gnome and the top task bar is up above the screen in the frame and have to play around witth the mouse to apps etc.This compares with normal resolutions with kde 2010.10 on the amd nVidia card. Tried lower resolutions and just end up with partial screens.Am thinking to reinstall the EVGA if I can find out how B) and beaar with trying to set the resolutions via the text inviteThank heavens we still have lappy and the AMD nVidiaCheers for yearsColinPS... Happy Holidays and a prosperous New year to one and all :) :flowers: :clap: :hug:

Edited by kamicota

All three flavours booted no problemSo replaced Enlightenment with KDE 2010.12 and the monitor and card resolution is 1680x1050
Let's see if I've got this right, Colin... Everything was working fine so you "replaced Enlightenment with KDE 2010.12"? Just couldn't take Yes for an answer, could you? B) I've never encountered a 1680x1050 resolution before. Perhaps trying 1024x768 or 1440x900 would at least get you started. Best of luck and Merry Christmas!

securitybreach
I've never encountered a 1680x1050 resolution before. Perhaps trying 1024x768 or 1440x900 would at least get you started. Best of luck and Merry Christmas!
Really? I have a few monitors that had 1680x1050 resolution. That is a common resolution for a 20" wide screen monitor although some of them use 1600x900 as well.

Hi again ALL - Please excuse the delay - have been going through the various anxieties with the Intel Quad - so much so have just reinstalled the 8400GS nVidia card--->> with a lot of TREPIDATION I might add as ther bios did not offer me a chance to disable it --->>>so uninstalled it in windows device manager - then tried PCLinuxOS 2010.11 Gnome - removed PCLinuxOS 2010.12 and low and behold we are installing the Gnome version which LiveCD loaded up and started installing.NOW we will see if we can see all we are supposed to see on the screen - of course after I go --->>>Configure your computer and on to the new/old nVidia.You know this is giving me the urge to say bybye INTEL QUAD and hello new amd nVidia carded computer - but only the next few days will determine that even IF :( Walmart Canada (Acer triple core) has some on sale Cheers for YearsColin :hysterical:

:w00t: just when you think you have climbed the mountain of troubles - you find it is a VOLCANO and erupts in your face again :'( :w00t: Had the right resolution for full screen thinking it was 6100 or later video driver - but found it was still custom--->>> with on a three quarter length wise screen (after updating) - where in the heck were my eyes :bye2: SO--->>> changed to the suggested 6100 driver and lo an behold can not even boot - end up with a text screen.And it does NOT even boot in safe modeHeck :hysterical: :w00t: thought I was into new year of tranquility but find the troublesome waters are still pulling me under Cheers for YearsColin :( Edited by kamicota

Just an update in the more POSITIVE vein --->>>Somewhere along this long saga of the Intel Quad and the EVGA nVidia 8400GS stand alone video card - it just came back to me that Mandriva always recognized this card and never had any problems with it.So downloaded the latest Mandriva 2010.2 ONE Gnome flavor - and lo and behold that is now installed and updated.Think this is a valuable lesson - and a future pointer to which Linux Flavor needs to be on this computer.Cheers for YearsColin :hysterical: