Network File Sharing... How-to?

V.T. Eric Layton

Now that you have the addies fixed... what happens when you ping <lappy> --> <desky> and <desky> --> <lappy> ?ping1e.jpg(if it's not getting through, go to router's config page and make sure that BOTH the wireless device [lappy] AND the wired device [desky] are using an IP addy within the SAME IP range... and that both the wired and wireless "parts" are using the SAME subnet mask.)

V.T. Eric Layton

Myeh... it's just more trouble than it's worth to set this all up. There's really no need for me to be sharing between the two systems, anyway. If there is a particular file or whatever that I need on the lappy (or vice-versa), I can always copy it to USB flash stick and transfer to the other system. It's quick and nasty... and EASY! Easy has become important to me lately. Life's too ****** short for the hard way. Sounds like the Slacker is really becoming a slacker. ;)

securitybreach
Myeh... it's just more trouble than it's worth to set this all up. There's really no need for me to be sharing between the two systems, anyway. If there is a particular file or whatever that I need on the lappy (or vice-versa), I can always copy it to USB flash stick and transfer to the other system. It's quick and nasty... and EASY! Easy has become important to me lately. Life's too ****** short for the hard way. Sounds like the Slacker is really becoming a slacker. ;)
I hear ya :thumbsup:Well if you ever need to open up any ports, you will have to setup the static IPs and IP-forwarding on your router. Otherwise the router will block the ports.

securitybreach

Also, its very easy to connect to your home machine while you are out and about. For instance:

ssh -p (port number) IP

That basically connects to your router and and uses the port number to go to a specific machine on the network.Very useful!!! I use it via my smartphone all the time to connect to gnuscreen on my main desktop.

V.T. Eric Layton

That wouldn't work for me because when I'm not sitting in front of my machine and actually using it for something, it's powered down (totally - all power shutoff at power strip). ;)

securitybreach

Yeah I forgot you always power down ;) Heck, I do not think I have turned off any of my machines(7) in years except for an occasional reboot. Screensaver mode is sufficient for me :)

securitybreach
Power down? Do desktop workstations have a setting for that?I thought only laptops powered down (when the battery goes all the way flat).
Yeah its called halting your machine and urning off your powerstrip. I would not recommend it though :whistling:

I used to do it all the time under Windows on the grounds that, if the bloody thing's not on it's not going to get even worse!These days I shut it down out of habit more than anything.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, you like cherry flavored Coke. I like regular flavored. Do whatever works for you. I can sit here an type a 1000 word thesis on why I power my units down when I'm not using them, but why bother. I'm sure you guys could counter with a similar sized thesis stating your views on it. Let's all just do it the way WE want to. :D

Hee Hee....actually I have to power down some of my systems....You would not believe my electric bill!!!! :D(and the wifes stare as she reads it)

V.T. Eric Layton

Barry, people have no clue how all those little "always on standby" electronics devices suck the electricity out of those wall sockets. I started powering down everything that's not in use around my house about three years ago. That and the 100% use of "curly-cue" bulbs has cut my electric bill down to about $70 a month. It might fluctuate three of four dollars either way throughout the year (I'm on averaged billing). I have friends crying the blues about their $400/month bills. I'd FREAK OUT if I ever got an electric bill like that!

I have friends crying the blues about their $400/month bills. I'd FREAK OUT if I ever got an electric bill like that!
Speaking as one of those friends with the $400/month electric bill, I should point out that there's an upside to it too. For one, I get to stay cool in the blazing sun of a Florida afternoon. Eric's place sits under nice tall trees. Mine is almost entirely exposed to the summer sun.But I mentioned an upside and here it is - my electric bill goes down to about $60/month when winter gets here. It's like a Christmas present from TECO!And it's only $400 one or maybe two months. Most of the time it hangs around $150-$250The cost is almost entirely Air Conditioning, which runs from March through November.

Eric, In my house it doesn't matter what really drives the bill up...it's me and my computers fault..(even when they are turned off) I haven't really figured the thought process out.. :( But we do the alternate high electric in summer and high gas in winter bills. What hurts us ( in the summer)is almost 24/7 washing and drying( we have 2 adults plus 5 kids still at home)...AC..and that freaking pool that everyone wants but I do all the work..stuff. (sorry my little rant...LOL)

Eric, In my house it doesn't matter what really drives the bill up...it's me and my computers fault..(even when they are turned off) I haven't really figured the thought process out.. :( But we do the alternate high electric in summer and high gas in winter bills. What hurts us ( in the summer)is almost 24/7 washing and drying( we have 2 adults plus 5 kids still at home)...AC..and that freaking pool that everyone wants but I do all the work..stuff. (sorry my little rant...LOL)
You need a couple of these to help with the summer bills.http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-6-80...ashing-line.asp :thumbsup:

Sure they do. It's called growing up. It'll happen faster as the economy starts to pick back up again too.
Do you have a crystal ball? Please tell me when.I can't wait for my 23 YO and her hubby to leave, again.