Wireless in Slackware

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I've spent the entire afternoon and evening trying to get my lappy to "see" my new wireless network in Slackware. I give up. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

No network detected by wicd. No changes to wicd settings do anything. No decent instructions ANYWHERE online about modifying Slack's /etc/rc.d -> rc.inet1.conf rc.wireless.conf or rc.wpa_supplicant.conf.*sigh*Tired now. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well... being that it's Slackware, which is designed specifically for sadistic, self-flagellating idiots who like PAIN and aggravation; it's never something simple. :)

V.T. Eric Layton
root_Slackware/home/vtel57:# lspci00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 Host Bridge00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (Internal gfx)00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 1)00:07.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 3)00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0)00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1)00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI2)00:13.3 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3)00:13.4 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4)00:13.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

Definitely a module problem.I had the same issue with every Broadcom based wifi chip I have ever used.wicd doesn't care much about the config stuff, if the module is installed and loaded, the interface is 'up', it does the rest including the roaming stuff.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... I was reading that thread over there while you were posting the link. I'll see what the driver will do.

Guest LilBambi

Oh, joy... another broadcom ....0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)Well, there's always usb wireless gizmos...

802.11 Linux STA driverThese packages contain Broadcom's IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n hybrid Linux® device driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, and BCM4322-based hardware. There are different tars for 32-bit and 64-bit x86 CPU architectures. Make sure that you download the appropriate tar because the hybrid binary file must be of the appropriate architecture type. The hybrid binary file is agnostic to the specific version of the Linux kernel because it is designed to perform all interactions with the operating system through operating-system-specific files and an operating system abstraction layer file. All Linux operating-system-specific code is provided in source form, making it possible to retarget to different kernel versions and fix operating system related issues.NOTE: You must read the LICENSE.TXT file in the lib directory before using this software.Support questions for the latest version of these drivers may be directed to linux-wlan-client-support-list@broadcom.com.802.11 Linux STA
@broadcom site

Well... being that it's Slackware, which is designed specifically for sadistic, self-flagellating idiots who like PAIN and aggravation; it's never something simple. :)
Um... isn't that sorta kinda the whole idea?hammernails.jpg :)

Slack has never been known to be gentle! That's why I don't mess with it. To me, it feels too primitive. From my experience, there are probably at most, no more than an handful of distros which are really wireless friendly. Those are the ones that I've had to stick with. Currently, I'm writing this with PCLOS/KDE. It is no problem to use any distro when only CAT-5 cable networking is needed. But if you want to tear your hair out, go ahead and try other distros. I'd be glad to find out which ones that work that I haven't tackled in the past. I don't know if you remember this, but I've put out several posts in the past about this. It took me a very long time to find what works. To my recollection, DESKTOPBSD, Freespire, PCLOS, are the ones that worked without a single sweat. The others were a tough wrestling match.Cheers!

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Fran... Those are the same drivers that I was trying to compile from SlackBuild. I could compile them from source and install directly, I s'pose. It's the "Slack Way". :hysterical:@ Urmas... Memo from Wired in Tampa:tarsier.jpgI'm not on that system at this time. I'll post that requested data later. @ Onederer... UG! *thumping chest* ME LIKE Slackware! wall.gif

@ Fran... Those are the same drivers that I was trying to compile from SlackBuild. I could compile them from source and install directly, I s'pose. It's the "Slack Way". :hysterical:@ Urmas... Memo from Wired in Tampa:tarsier.jpgI'm not on that system at this time. I'll post that requested data later. @ Onederer... UG! *thumping chest* ME LIKE Slackware! wall.gif
U LIKE PAIN! eh? Me no like missing dependencies hunting! Make big headache!

V.T. Eric Layton
Dear "Wired in Tampa",Give us the output of...
~$ lspci -vvnn | grep 14e4

(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx)

root_Slackware/home/vtel57:# lspci -vvnn | grep 14e403:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

Guest LilBambi
@ Fran... Those are the same drivers that I was trying to compile from SlackBuild. I could compile them from source and install directly, I s'pose. It's the "Slack Way". :hysterical:
That would be a good idea. There have been many times when JL has had to compile drivers/driver modules from source because of this type of thing.

V.T. Eric Layton
root_Slackware/home/vtel57:# iwconfiglo		no wireless extensions.eth0	  no wireless extensions.wlan0	 IEEE 802.11bg  Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   		  Tx-Power=0 dBm   		  Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off		  Encryption key:off		  Power Management:off

V.T. Eric Layton
root_Slackware/home/vtel57:# lsmod | grep b3*Module				  Size  Used byi2c_algo_bit			5143  1 radeonfreq_table			  2475  2 cpufreq_ondemand,powernow_k8b43				   178613  0 mac80211			  171226  1 b43cfg80211			  128711  2 b43,mac80211b44					28552  0 ssb					47271  2 b43,b44usbhid				 37516  0 hid					75699  1 usbhidmmc_core			   54106  3 b43,ssb,sdhcipcmcia				 30280  2 b43,ssbrtc_lib				 1922  1 rtc_coreled_class			   2785  2 b43,sdhcimii					 3914  1 b44i2c_core			   18679  6 radeon,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit,videodev,i2c_piix4battery				 9884  0 dcdbas				  5800  1 dell_laptopbutton				  4922  0

OK, a couple of slackware/Broadcom threads... I'm "just posting them" because as of now I'm not sure how far you've gotten with this one:Kernel stuff: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/li...-6-35-a-827646/WPA supplicant stuff: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/slackware...slack-13-a.htmlSlackware – Take your cigarette from its holder,And burn your initials in my shoulder.Fracture my spine,And swear that you're mine,As we dance to the masochism tango. :thumbup: EDIT: Looks indeed like the drivers are there, so fuggedabout the first link.