Apple OS on a notebook

longgone

Here is the question... I have noticed several web sites that have Mac Books for sale with the Intel CPU instead of the Mac CPU. I did not check to see which Apple OS they had installed but suffice it to say that since they are new, it would probably be the latest one. Now which is the better stability option a Mac notebook with the Mac CPU or the notebook with the Intel CPU?

Guest LilBambi

All the new Macs for awhile now have had Intel CPUs since they switched to Intel based OS X (Leopard was the first that had an Intel Mac version). Snow Leopard is ONLY for Intel Macs. So PPC is basically walking dead at this point. Even the latest security updates for Leopard don't seem to work right on PPC Macs from my reading even though they are supposed to be Universal.So, yes, PPC Macs are walking dead.

So... in theory I can buy a notebook with the Intel CPU which might or might not have a Windoz OS on it, get the latest version of the Apple OS and do the install and it should work ???? I ask this because I have seen the Mac books with 15.6" screens for between 1000.00-1800.00 and a 17.3" screen of several other name brands for less than 900.00. My thought (in theory) is that since the CPU is Intel in both cases then the OS should work whether or not it is a Mac or am I just missing something here someplace ??

Guest LilBambi

Yes, and no.That would depend on what you define as a Mac. I think Open Darwin is still around, but you can't use the Aqua GUI so you would have to use a Linux GUI or commandline (which isn't really the same thing as a Mac) but even if you could, there are key technologies which make it impossible, such as Apple's proprietary EPROM which is required to make Mac OS X operating system (again a catch22 because Mac OS X includes the Aqua GUI which is not open soure) function on Intel - Mac OS X with the Aqua GUI will not run without the Apple proprietary EPROM.There are places on the web that post illegal methods, but do not post any information or links to them in the forums as it is against the forum rules to do:

Copyrights, Illegal Material, and Links Offsite5. Do not ask for, offer to supply, or post links to, copies of commercial software, MP3s, movies, CD Keys, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, etc. or other intellectual property for which you do not hold the copyright. Do not ask for or post information about or link to anything unlawful. This includes but is not limited to copies of pirated commercial software, commercial music files, movies, and other intellectual property. Do not post any information, or link to any site that contains information, intended to violate the Terms of Service or End User License Agreement of any service, product, or application. Do not request or provide password hacks or cracks.
Also, Apple is very proactive in the protection of their Intellectual property, are they not?Apple Wins Lawsuit Against Psystar - "Apple wins a copyright infringement claim against Miami-based Psystar, a company that had been selling PCs loaded with Mac OS X Leopard."However, if you have an old PPC Mac, or even an newer Intel Mac, you can install and run Linux on a Mac. ;)

I can see clearly now,,,, If I want to play with a Mac ,, then I will have to get a Mac ,, no shortcuts, no corner cutting, just fork over the bucks...
Actually,If you run the latest version of Oracle's VM VirtualBox on Windows you will notice that in the Create New Virtual Machine Wizard in the drop-down list for Operating System that Mac OS X Server is supported. :whistling: I wouldn't say it's the most stable of my VMs *cough, cough* but I wonder if that's an Oracle one-digit salute to Apple.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, that's true...forgot about VMs for Mac that can run on Windows.Not the most stable of your VMs ... well if Apple were more forthcoming, things would be better in that area, I bet. But they aren't.So sad, they used to be truly revolutionary and empowering to the user...back in 1984.And you really could do something more with the code. It was more open at one time.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually,If you run the latest version of Oracle's VM VirtualBox on Windows you will notice that in the Create New Virtual Machine Wizard in the drop-down list for Operating System that Mac OS X Server is supported. :whistling: I wouldn't say it's the most stable of my VMs *cough, cough* but I wonder if that's an Oracle one-digit salute to Apple.
To help clarify. Apple's Mac OS X Server does not have the hardware requirement... in other words, you can install it on a VM as long as that VM supports it.Apple allowed this not to long ago, but only for Mac OS X Server.;)MrA

To help clarify. Apple's Mac OS X Server does not have the hardware requirement... in other words, you can install it on a VM as long as that VM supports it.Apple allowed this not to long ago, but only for Mac OS X Server.;)MrA
I take it this means none of the normal "desktop stuff" will work? That about all it's good for is running a file and/or print server?