• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• securitybreach

• Acadia

• BillD

http://www.ubuntu.comIt's now available at a friendly mirror near you. :(
They were supposed to have a serious memory leak, just before they were to release the final version. Do you know if they fixed it? I'd hate to download it, and find out that my machine(s) get clogged up, and need rebooting every few hours.I checked out their web site about "cloud computing". I didn't find out if they charge for that service. However, to me it looks like a pretty lengthy and complicated way of setting up things. I suppose if a real live person were to coach me step-by-step, the first time, then any other instance(s) of having to do it again should be no problem. It seems that the way that they do it (mostly everything Mexican style (Manuel)), the operator has to do all the work. There is nothing wrong with that, especially if one really wants to learn how to do it. But then again, I really believe that it could be more automated than that. Lets say that the computer asks the operator the necessary questions needed to setup cloud computing, and it then fills in the blanks, and performs in the background, the necessary setup steps. This would be a boon to less savvy Linux users. And more people would have no qualms on adopting "cloud computing". As it stands now, I'm more interested in being a user, than a digital mechanic. And having an automated setup suits me just fine! This is new technology, for me anyway, and it's kind out of my comfort zone. :( Cheers!

V.T. Eric Layton

YIPPEE! Must go download now. I think I'll plow Mandriva under and plant a field of Ubuntu 10.04. :(

Well, I downloaded it, burned it and ran it live, but there is no md5sum available yet. Makes one wonder :( Probably rushing things a bit to install it. Bill

Edited by BillD

Frank Golden
Well, I downloaded it, burned it and ran it live, but there is no md5sum available yet. Makes one wonder :( Probably rushing things a bit to install it. Bill
MD5 sums here at bottom of page.http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/The Ubuntu D\L page for some reason has never included the MD5 sums unless they are cleverly hidden.If you ran the live then it's probably OK.
They were supposed to have a serious memory leak, just before they were to release the final version. Do you know if they fixed it? I'd hate to download it, and find out that my machine(s) get clogged up, and need rebooting every few hours.I checked out their web site about "cloud computing". I didn't find out if they charge for that service. However, to me it looks like a pretty lengthy and complicated way of setting up things. I suppose if a real live person were to coach me step-by-step, the first time, then any other instance(s) of having to do it again should be no problem. It seems that the way that they do it (mostly everything Mexican style (Manuel)), the operator has to do all the work. There is nothing wrong with that, especially if one really wants to learn how to do it. But then again, I really believe that it could be more automated than that. Lets say that the computer asks the operator the necessary questions needed to setup cloud computing, and it then fills in the blanks, and performs in the background, the necessary setup steps. This would be a boon to less savvy Linux users. And more people would have no qualms on adopting "cloud computing". As it stands now, I'm more interested in being a user, than a digital mechanic. And having an automated setup suits me just fine! This is new technology, for me anyway, and it's kind out of my comfort zone. :( Cheers!
The repos have an update for mesa GLX.The final uses the older GLX 1.2I'm installing the new Mesa from the repos now, will see if it updates the GLX to the new 1.4 version.OOPS, the update is only available if "backports" and "proposed" are enabled in Synaptic.These two are not enabled by default but I like having the latest so I always enable backports and proposed.There is a kernel upgrade in proposed as well.Without backports and proposed enabled there are no updates right now. Edited by Frank Golden

Well, my md5sum checks OK. Alas, Firefox 3.6.3 is as slow here as in PCLinuxOS. Have not tried to install the bookmarks to see if favicons appeared here (but probably not because I tried 3 times with PCLinuxOS, once in Kde and twice in Gnome) or do anything else with it other than try Firefox 3.6 after installing it; I had hoped there might be something weird about my hardware and PCLinuxOS, but apparently not.Definitely boots a bit faster the 9.1, but I surely am disappointed in Firefox performance.BillEdit: Well, how about that; the favicons showed up when I imported the bookmarks. But it is still slow.

Edited by BillD

Frank Golden
Well, my md5sum checks OK. Alas, Firefox 3.6.3 is as slow here as in PCLinuxOS. Have not tried to install the bookmarks to see if favicons appeared here (but probably not because I tried 3 times with PCLinuxOS, once in Kde and twice in Gnome) or do anything else with it other than try Firefox 3.6 after installing it; I had hoped there might be something weird about my hardware and PCLinuxOS, but apparently not.Definitely boots a bit faster the 9.1, but I surely am disappointed in Firefox performance.BillEdit: Well, how about that; the favicons showed up when I imported the bookmarks. But it is still slow.
Bill are you evaluating FF performance from a Live CD or a HDD install?If from the Live CD software performance is bound to be slow.

Frank Golden
They were supposed to have a serious memory leak, just before they were to release the final version. Do you know if they fixed it? I'd hate to download it, and find out that my machine(s) get clogged up, and need rebooting every few hours.I checked out their web site about "cloud computing". I didn't find out if they charge for that service. However, to me it looks like a pretty lengthy and complicated way of setting up things. I suppose if a real live person were to coach me step-by-step, the first time, then any other instance(s) of having to do it again should be no problem. It seems that the way that they do it (mostly everything Mexican style (Manuel)), the operator has to do all the work. There is nothing wrong with that, especially if one really wants to learn how to do it. But then again, I really believe that it could be more automated than that. Lets say that the computer asks the operator the necessary questions needed to setup cloud computing, and it then fills in the blanks, and performs in the background, the necessary setup steps. This would be a boon to less savvy Linux users. And more people would have no qualms on adopting "cloud computing". As it stands now, I'm more interested in being a user, than a digital mechanic. And having an automated setup suits me just fine! This is new technology, for me anyway, and it's kind out of my comfort zone. :whistling: Cheers!
The GLX used is GLX 1.2 and the repo update doesn't change the version.Like I thought the dev's reverted to the older GLX version until they had a workable fix.It is conceivable that they won't roll out a fix until the next release in October.My guess is they will fix it in the very near future and it will appear in the repos.I just finished installing the final and it works great, just like the RC and beta did.

If from the Live CD software performance is bound to be slow.
Nope, I installed it, and as I said above, the favicons got imported OK into the bookmarks, but it still runs slow. May have to hang tough with Opera for awhile if I use it, but I think I'll probably just keep using 9.1 on my "work" computer for awhile. I installed this in place of PCLinuxOS Gnome on the computer I use primarily for Win XP.Bill

Posting from Ubuntu 10.04 in VirtualBox :whistling: Had a minor glitch but guest additions installed and working fine w/out any tinkering or further software installations.

downloaded in nine minutes flat zoom zoom. don't feel like creating a VM tonight, will do tomorrow. glad to hear it works fine in VB, Jodef.a0e4d078498007.gif

Anyone having any problems getting this new Ubuntu to work with dual monitors. I've been able to get dual monitors to work beautifully in Mint, Karmic Koala, and Mandriva (thanks to SecurityBreach). But dual monitors in this new Ubuntu is a no go, can't even remember all the error messages that I was getting.Thanks,Acadia

http://www.ubuntu.comIt's now available at a friendly mirror near you. :whistling:
I just installed the 64bit version. So far, so good. This is the first distro if have ever tried that I didn't have to disconnect the monitor on the HDVI port in order to boot the LiveCD. The servers are obviously very busy 'cause it is taking forever to download stuff. Took about 20 minutes just to get the nVidia driver. Also, this is the first release that saves the nVidia settings without having to use "sudo." It gives an error but then allows you to save the file anyway. It does ask for your password to do it. About time they fixed that.Hmm! Just noticed that it doesn't default to Numlock. Wonder where I set that. Edited by lewmur

securitybreach
Anyone having any problems getting this new Ubuntu to work with dual monitors. I've been able to get dual monitors to work beautifully in Mint, Karmic Koala, and Mandriva (thanks to SecurityBreach). But dual monitors in this new Ubuntu is a no go, can't even remember all the error messages that I was getting.Thanks,Acadia
Did you setup nvidia-settings again?

Did you setup nvidia-settings again?
I tried but it would not let me, again, I don't remember the error messages, there were at least a couple. Will try again this weekend, thanks securitybreach.Acadia

securitybreach
I tried but it would not let me, again, I don't remember the error messages, there were at least a couple. Will try again this weekend, thanks securitybreach.Acadia
Did you run:
sudo nvidia-settings

securitybreach
Read my post. You don't have to use "sudo" with 10.04. But you do have to install the restricted driver.
Oh ok, sorry missed that. I am still half asleep :whistling:

Securitybreach: Yes, I did run that command in the terminal, one of the Ubuntu error messages told me to do that.Urmas: Yes, I did install that driver, or at least I tried.lewmur: Thanks for that.Acadia

The browser Opera is no longer listed in the repositories for Lucid . . . :thumbsup: Bill
Don't be sorry for that, the versions after 10.10 do have a build in server (unite), you wouldn't need that, do you?(To disable Opera Unite, from the menu, select Opera Unite > Configure and select "Disable Opera Unite". Disabling Opera Unite means that your friends will not be able to access your content in any application.)See: http://unite.opera.com/guide/Besides that if you need a problem browser have a look at the problems for the latest versions aka 10.5x versions:http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=26Imo 10.10 was the last good one, I used it myself as a 2nd browser before stepping out of the band wagon.

Got the dual monitors working on 10.04. From the Nvidia driver screen, Instead of choosing "version current - recommended" as I did last night, this time I chose "version 173". For some reason it liked 173 much better, in fact, setting up the dual monitors after that was the easiest so far. :thumbsup: Acadia

Well, isn't that the pits. I was hoping to continue with it when Firefox 3.6.3 turned out to be so disastrously slow compared with 3.5.x in the three different distros I have tried it in . . . :thumbsup: Bill

Well, isn't that the pits. I was hoping to continue with it when Firefox 3.6.3 turned out to be so disastrously slow compared with 3.5.x in the three different distros I have tried it in . . . :thumbsup: Bill
Bill, I've never used it but I've heard good things about it especially its speed: how about Google's Chrome?Acadia

I've never tried Chrome either. But someone in an email just suggested trying OpenDNS. In the past, I found it slightly inferior to nothing, but I set up my router just now again for OpenDNS, and it really speeded things up. I knew there was something wrong with the DNS process . . . why Firefox 3.6.3 should be different than 3.5.x I don't know, but I think I'll try this a few days and see how it works.But thank you for the suggestion; I am just a little afraid of anything related to Google!Bill

But thank you for the suggestion; I am just a little afraid of anything related to Google!Bill
Yeah, the reason I've never tried it is because I love Firefox's NoScript extension. I know that Linux is supposed to be somewhat immune to that sort of thing but I don't know enough about Linux yet to completely trust that aspect of it.Acadia

securitybreach
Bill, I've never used it but I've heard good things about it especially its speed: how about Google's Chrome?Acadia
Well I am glad you got the dual monitors working. :thumbsup:I use Google Chrome everyday and I think it is super fast.