use this pile of garbage that is "Linux"?

striker

V.T. Eric Layton

My advice... get a real computer (or build one), learn how to install and use real GNU/Linux operating systems, quit whining. :hysterical:

securitybreach

I do not get it. First of all none of the EeePCs come with Ubuntu, so its a hack anyway. Secondly if you do not like the way Ubuntu is being developed you have the option to fork it or use another distro. I mean it is open source is it not? Nobody is twisting his arm to to release an Ubuntu EeePC ACPI. I have known tons of developers you started developing for another distribution because they did not like the path the distro was heading. Lasly, stop whining and go back to XP if you think it is better!! We do not need that kind of attitude in the Linux Movement. Sorry for the rant, but stuff like this irrates me. :hysterical: Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Listen guys... When your replies are directing to me, read this:The day has finally come I had it with you.When you want to complain, fine: you know where to reach Scot.We'll see what comes out of this.If the replies were not/are not directing to me, either personally and/or indirectly, speak up what you mean.

securitybreach

You said:

Ehm ... NOT my words, it's from some blog I ran into tonight.
Directed at you? Of course not, it was the blogger I was speaking of. Why would you think that? Sorry if you misunderstood.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton
Ehm ... NOT my words, it's from some blog I ran into tonight.
Oh, c'mon Striker... you KNOW no one here who knows you would respond to you like securitybreach and I did to that blogger. Our words were meant for that blogger, not you. You must know, my friend, that I have much respect for your knowledge and your helpful presence here at ATL. I wouldn't dream of posting a reply like that one above to you or anyone else at Scots' Newsletter Forums... ever. My reply was purely rhetorical. I most likely wouldn't even be that blunt with the blogger himself. Anyway, as SB says... sorry for any misunderstanding. ~Eric

Alright guys, obviously I misunderstood. I'm sorry about that. :( Like you I don't know what that blogger smoked when he wrote that piece. Mind you, I have used Ubuntu myself so much in the past and never, ever had a showstopper problem with it. It just plain worked! Now let's be honest: is there really anybody out there thinking an OS comes without a single fault, perfectly working out of that shiny box?All pieces of software do have bugs, so what to think of a complete OS? Well, I can understand that guys frustration, no problem. But to just pull the plug? Where so many people are using his code and then just saying 'it just stops here', well I don't know but imo it isn't wise to do so without having someone else taking over. I have a cure for that... forbid this guy to be in the neighbourhood of any computer within a miles distance for say six weeks to starts with.What, six weeks ... no ... you mean no computer? Not even a sack with computer components? No nothing, nada, zilch?Yep, that's it. And of course no internet either. That's what I'm calling pulling the plug, just to teach someone a lesson. Let's see what's more frustrating, no computer and no internet or some lines of code which seem to be faulty. :hysterical:

Well, I can understand that guys frustration, no problem. But to just pull the plug? Where so many people are using his code and then just saying 'it just stops here', well I don't know but imo it isn't wise to do so without having someone else taking over. I....
IMO, this whole thing demonstrates a big problem with the entire Linux community. It seems the only feedback most coders receive is negative. They don't hear from the vast majority of people who are happy with the free stuff they receive. They only hear from people with problems complaining "you broke my computer."Here is a guy who freely contributes, not only his time but what is obviously a very high level of knowledge and talent. And what thanks does he get? "You broke my computer!!!" Can we really blame him for wanting to "abandon ship?" Personally, I think each and every poster here in ATL should go to his blog and thank him for a job well done and ask him to reconsider his position. Maybe if he receives the thanks and recognition he deserves, he can overcome his frustration.PS. Striker, I posted this as a reply to one of your post but it is meant for the entire community and NOT you personally.Lew

:thumbsup:
I have to agree with the blogger about Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) working great, it does for me 64 bit no less. The dev's did step backwards with 9.04 (jaunty) by replacing the standard xserver with the newer beta version.The newer xserver (also included with the soon to be released Ubuntu 9.10) only supports ATi's Catalyst 9.4 and up of proprietary video drivers for linux (that includes full hardware 3-D acceleration). ATi stopped support, starting with Catalyst 9.4, (for many so called "legacy) video cards like the x1400 mobility radeon cards used in many notebooka made in the last 3 years. Not only did ATi stop support but the new driver doesn't even see the affected hardware. Attempts to manually install the drivers break x.The older Catalyst drivers (Catalyst 9.3 and earlier) won't work with the new xserver, again breaking x.THe good new however is that the Jaunty, fully updated, has a version of the default "open source" ATi drivers that seem to work better than the drivers provided with Jaunty at release back in April. Although still using a software solution to provide 3-D support for these legacy cards they work well with such apps as GoogleEarth and Stellarium.At release Jaunty would not work well with these Open GL based apps, even crashing GoogleEarth.I haven't tried Ubuntu 9.10 yet but I expect that open GL apps will work ok with it as well.Of course most of the blame here is with ATi's decision to drop support for these cards it wasn't without the developer knowlege.At the very least both Jaunty and Karmic and later releases should include an option during install to allow using the older xserver.BTW, the older Catalyst drivers, 9.3 and before work very well with Ubuntu 8.10 and 8.04 LTS 32 and 64 bit.As a matter of fact upgrading the kernel in these two versions of Ubuntu automatically installs the fglrx driver module to the new kernel using dkms.Previous versions of Ubuntu required manual install with each kernel upgrade.This process is made fairly easy using the instructions available at the cchtml wiki, devoted to the Catalyst for linux drivers.http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_PageDo NOT use these instructions to install fglrx (the proprietary Catalyst drivers) to Jaunty or Karmic using any version of Catalystif your card is one of the affecte so called legacy cards, it will hopelessly break your x.Below is a list of some of the affected cards.
AMD has moved a number of DX9 ATI Radeonâ„¢ graphics accelerators products to a legacy driver support structure. This change impacts Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Linux distributions. AMD has moved to a legacy software support structure for these graphics accelerator products in an effort to better focus development resources on future products.The following products have been moved to the legacy software support structure (including Mobile and All-in-Wonder Variants):ATI Radeon 9500 SeriesATI Radeon 9550 SeriesATI Radeon 9600 SeriesATI Radeon 9700 SeriesATI Radeon 9800 SeriesATI Radeon X300 SeriesATI Radeon X550 SeriesATI Radeon X600 SeriesATI Radeon X700 SeriesATI Radeon X800 SeriesATI Radeon X850 SeriesATI Radeon X1050 SeriesATI Radeon X1300 SeriesATI Radeon X1550 SeriesATI Radeon X1600 SeriesATI Radeon X1650 SeriesATI Radeon X1800 SeriesATI Radeon X1900 SeriesATI Radeon Xpress SeriesATI Radeon X1200 SeriesATI Radeon X1250 SeriesATI Radeon X2100 Series
Edited by Frank Golden

When I saw the nym fewt, I immediately thought - I know that guy.I read the first few sentences and he has an eeepc. I know him from the eeepc users forum and not in a good way. 'nuff said about him. (if you visit, I'm plodr at the eeepc users forum)

...to try to make Linux better for Eee users.
No thanks; don't waste your time trying to screw up my netbook!
I've been hearing a lot of users posting (by a lot I mean .002% of the 15,000 Eee PC ACPI users...
There are currently 27 different models with different hardware. How can he possibly expect to "fix" whatever he thinks is broken on 27 different machine specs?Why do people buy a netbook, knowing it isn't the top of the line hardware and comes with a proprietary version of linux on it, in most cases, then start complaining because it doesn't do this and it can't do that?Find out what it does before you buy it. If you aren't happy, then buy something else!

securitybreach
No thanks; don't waste your time trying to screw up my netbook! There are currently 27 different models with different hardware. How can he possibly expect to "fix" whatever he thinks is broken on 27 different machine specs? Why do people buy a netbook, knowing it isn't the top of the line hardware and comes with a proprietary version of linux on it, in most cases, then start complaining because it doesn't do this and it can't do that? Find out what it does before you buy it. If you aren't happy, then buy something else!
Amen!!!!! BTW I have one of the original 701 4Gs (Dec 07, wish I would of waited for one a little better) so I know how many different variations have come along since then. I have found that luckily the 701 support has had plenty of time to perfect everything. Running Archlinux on mine.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

I do not get it. First of all none of the EeePCs come with Ubuntu, so its a hack anyway. Secondly if you do not like the way Ubuntu is being developed you have the option to fork it or use another distro. I mean it is open source is it not? Nobody is twisting his arm to to release an Ubuntu EeePC ACPI. I have known tons of developers you started developing for another distribution because they did not like the path the distro was heading. Lasly, stop whining and go back to XP if you think it is better!! We do not need that kind of attitude in the Linux Movement. Sorry for the rant, but stuff like this irrates me. :hysterical: Thanks
From my experience, Ubuntu is too much like Windows. A lot of things worked driver wise that didn't work with other distro's I've tried, but if they decide to leave something out of the kernel or you want a newer kernel with some feature, it's very hard to personalize. They don't want you to compile your own kernel for instance. Apparently, if it's not there I don't need it and I just need to wait for the next release. So, I finally bit the bullet and switched my pc over to Gentoo. It's kind of Debianish in the way it's configured without being constrictive like Ubuntu. Performing updates takes a little longer and a little more knowledge, but that's part of the fun. My computer is now under my control. I can change the version of one package without changing the entire distro version.Of course, some people prefer something that's Windowsish. That's ok for them. To each his own.

securitybreach
My computer is now under my control. I can change the version of one package without changing the entire distro version.
Gentoo is not the only one you can do this in. You can easily do that in Archlinux, too. Since Archlinux is a rolling distro you can easily switch back to a previous version of a package using either Pacman (the package manager) or ABS (Arch Build System) You can get package versions from the beginning of 2008 to present from here: http://arm.kh.nu/Thanks Edited by securitybreach

When I saw the nym fewt, I immediately thought - I know that guy.I read the first few sentences and he has an eeepc. I know him from the eeepc users forum and not in a good way. 'nuff said about him. (if you visit, I'm plodr at the eeepc users forum) No thanks; don't waste your time trying to screw up my netbook!
The guy may be a jerk. I don't own a eeepc so I've no experience with him. But, IMO, the service he was providing seems to be a valuable one. ACPI functions are a notorious problem in most distros and are particularly valuable in netbooks.The problem, as I see it, is that most users don't understand LTS distros vs "the latest and greatest." Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that he isn't compiling his own kernel but merely providing a utility to implement the ACPI functions on the eeepc netbook. And apparently he has been successful even though there are 27 different models. What seems to be the problem is that users want to use the utility with "the latest and greatest" when it hasn't even been tested on those distros.If the ACPI functions are important to your use of your eeepc, then stick with the LTS version of Ubuntu. In fact, IMO, it should be a general assumption that you shouldn't ever "upgrade" to "latest and greatest" as your primary OS. I know I don't "switch" until I've throughly tested the new distro on a separate partition. And even once I have switched, I keep the old version as a backup in case of problems.If you wipe your current version by "upgrading" to TLAG, then it's your own fault if it breaks your computer.

V.T. Eric Layton

@ GregYou know it's the Halloween season and scary things are stalking the dark shadows... vampires, were-critters, ghosts, witches, and ghouls. But you know what's REALLY SCARY?scaredy-cat_gentoo.png:)