How to FAX In Ubuntu 8.04

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey folks, I'm trying to help my brother with a couple things on his Ubuntu system, but I don't have Ubuntu installed on my system anymore. Can one of the Ubuntu pros around here point me to a good tutorial on how to FAX from Ubuntu w/ an HP printer/scanner.=====On a separate topic... he's also asking me how to run his Ares music sharing program (Windows P2P app) in Ubuntu. Is there an equivalent way for him to access the Ares P2P network with an Ubuntu app? Bittorent, Azureus, etc? He's asking me stuff about topics that I don't know anything about because I don't use any of these apps.Thanks for any help. B)

cybormoron

i don't know about the ares network on linux. i see comments that say use wine and other comments that say it doesn't work, so i can't help there.for other p2p networks GTK-gnutella, limewire, frostwire and amule are available. i've used GTK-gnutella before and it works good. i can't in good conscience recommend p2p for certain music sharing. it's getting kinda hectic out there. there's other less controversial ways to listen to music from the web. blip.fm is working quite well for me at the moment.for bit torrent whatever torrent client comes with ubuntu should be fine i would think. i love ktorrent but that's kde.

V.T. Eric Layton

I saw a posting somewhere where a kid had used ktorrent in Ubuntu to access his Ares account. He wasn't specific on how that was done, though. There is no Linux help on the Ares site, of course. :(WOW! You have VERY varied music tastes, Steve. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... registered for Blip.fm. Not quite sure how this new-fangled stuff works, though. B)

Regarding the fax: as far as I know you need a working ( Linux compatible ) dial-up modem . . .
Dunno... I guess not if the all-in-one does have a modem. Found these articles:
Prior to purchasing the Officejet 5610, I'd never actually sent a fax from Linux. All my previous fax machines operated in standalone mode. The Officejet 5610 will do that, too, if that's what you need, but it also allows you to send a fax from an application, such as OpenOffice.org. All it takes is the secret sauce in HP's HPLIP driver. The experimental installation instructions given on the HPLIP project site are distribution-specific and are provided for Fedora, Red Hat, SUSE, Debian, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Slackware, and FreeBSD. I failed to get HPLIP 1.6.9 properly installed on Debian Etch, but had no problems at all installing it with the experimental installer on Ubuntu LTS. The installation process creates a new print queue for the Officejet 5610, this one exclusively for fax use. But it's still not quite ready to use at this point. In order to send a document you've prepared in OpenOffice.org, for example, you need to run hp-sendfax from the command line. From the hp-sendfax screen, enter the phone number, select a cover page, and otherwise prepare to fax you document. Then, from within OpenOffice.org, print the document to the fax printer queue, and you're done. The Officejet 5610 takes over from there, dialing the assigned number and putting your fax on the line.
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/114181
Everything worked, what left to do? What left to do is figuring out how can I send fax directly from Ubuntu (or other Linux base operating system) using only digital files (*.txt, *.pdf, *.ps, *.jpeg), so I don't have to print those files and fax them one by one anymore. HP Linux Imaging and Printing project Through googling, I found that Hewlett Packard (HP) has published open source software tool to deal with their printers. Free and Open Source drivers and printer-specific application directly from manufacturer, which is very cool! Fortunately Ubuntu already installed HPLIP tools by default with CUPS in my machine. The next step that I should take is to run 'hp-setup' as root to configure my printer port and run the 'hp-sendfax' application to send the faxes. Both of these tool requires python-qt3 package which is available from Ubuntu software repository. Now I can fax my pdf documents directly without having to print them first, a huge saving over ink and paper cost.
http://blog.mypapit.net/2007/09/hp-officej...x-computer.htmlThe above "HP links" don't work... here:Configure your printer using hp-setupHow to fax - General notesHow to fax from OpenOffice.orgI couldn't find a step-by-step HOWTO, sorry. Does look promising, though. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... it's just an HP printer/scanner... no modem. However, there is a modem (hardware, not Winmodem) installed on this system. Looks like I'm going to have to go over there and detect/configure the modem first and then install and configure eFax. What a pain in the posterior area. This is one of those areas where Windows definitely has the advantage. :(Thanks, folks. :thumbsup:

Nah... it's just an HP printer/scanner... no modem. However, there is a modem (hardware, not Winmodem) installed on this system. Looks like I'm going to have to go over there and detect/configure the modem first and then install and configure eFax.
Oops... I should have read your initial post more carefully.https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowtohttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3...ight=efax+howtohttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1...;highlight=efax
urmas@rocinante:~$ wvdialconf Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.  Scanning your serial ports for a modem.  WvModem<*1>: Cannot set information for serial port. ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up. Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1   S2   S3      Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program? Did you configure it properly with setserial?  Please read the FAQ at http://open.nit.ca/wiki/?WvDial  If you still have problems, send mail to <wvdial-list@lists.nit.ca>. urmas@rocinante:~$

:">

V.T. Eric Layton

Just breezing by here at the moment, Urm... I'll come back later tonight and check out your most recent info. Thanks, comrade! :' />

V.T. Eric Layton
i don't know about the ares network on linux. i see comments that say use wine and other comments that say it doesn't work, so i can't help there.for other p2p networks GTK-gnutella, limewire, frostwire and amule are available. i've used GTK-gnutella before and it works good. i can't in good conscience recommend p2p for certain music sharing. it's getting kinda hectic out there. there's other less controversial ways to listen to music from the web. blip.fm is working quite well for me at the moment.for bit torrent whatever torrent client comes with ubuntu should be fine i would think. i love ktorrent but that's kde.
Steve, made some progress with Blip.fm tonight. I created a nice playlist of '60s classics. FUN! Thanks! :thumbsup: --> http://blip.fm/vtel57