Grub in Mandriva 2009

ozgeek

I decided to reformat my linux box and I installed Mandriva 2009 first - as I usually do. I then installed PcLOS, my second favourite distro. However, when I went to put PcLOS in my Mandriva grub menu everything went pear-shaped. Firstly, I'm not allowed to access the grub menu in root. I get"kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncherklauncher(8943) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!"I type in " su, then password. Then "kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst"It's been a while since I did all this so I'm hoping I got it right.Any ideas where I'm going wrong, anyone?

I decided to reformat my linux box and I installed Mandriva 2009 first - as I usually do. I then installed PcLOS, my second favourite distro. However, when I went to put PcLOS in my Mandriva grub menu everything went pear-shaped. Firstly, I'm not allowed to access the grub menu in root. I get"kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncherklauncher(8943) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!"I type in " su, then password. Then "kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst"It's been a while since I did all this so I'm hoping I got it right.Any ideas where I'm going wrong, anyone?
Try "su root"

V.T. Eric Layton

Launching graphic applications as Root can be a bit dangerous, as you probably know, Jan. Are you familiar with VIM, the command line editor? If not, does Mandriva use "sudo". I don't remember. Try Kedit and see if it will load as Root.

No luck, Lewmur. Got same error message.
You installed Mandy first and it installed grub. OK, so far? Then you installed PCLos. What bootloader did it install and where did it install it?Apparently you can still boot Mandy and type "su root" and then "kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst" That should open the menu.lst file in kwrite to allow you to edit the file, but without knowing what bootloader you used for PCLos, I have no way of knowing how you need to modify that file in order to get PCLos to boot. Edited by lewmur

You installed Mandy first and it installed grub. OK, so far? Then you installed PCLos. What bootloader did it install and where did it install it?Apparently you can still boot Mandy and type "su root" and then "kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst" That should open the menu.lst file in kwrite to allow you to edit the file, but without knowing what bootloader you used for PCLos, I have no way of knowing how you need to modify that file in order to get PCLos to boot.
Lewmur, I installed PcLOS on hd0,5. The boot entry would have been "root (hd0,4)" I can't access the menu in kwrite because I get the error message"kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncherklauncher(8943) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!"I've gone through this process many times and it's the first time I've had a problem. I'm also getting some other weird messages in Mandy and am suspecting that one of my recent upgrades may be responsible'.

Lewmur, I installed PcLOS on hd0,5. The boot entry would have been "root (hd0,4)" I can't access the menu in kwrite because I get the error message"kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncherklauncher(8943) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!"I've gone through this process many times and it's the first time I've had a problem. I'm also getting some other weird messages in Mandy and am suspecting that one of my recent upgrades may be responsible'.
By that do you mean that you can't launch kwrite at all? If so something is wrong with the Mandy install. Have you tried another editor? You should have several.And you didn't really answer the question about the bootloader for PCLos. I didn't ask where the distro was installed but rather where, and which, bootloader you had it install. Some distros give you a choice of either Lilo or Grub while some will only allow one or the other. And they all give you choice as where to install them. MRB, or the boot sector of a partition of your choice. Edited by lewmur

Hi JanCould you please try:

$ su -< password># kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

So, that is "su space dash" on the first line and the last line may spit out a lot of lines first but kwrite should pop up after that.There is a funny *bug* in MDV 2009 that makes that you can not use "su" or "kdesu" if you want to start a GUI program as root . . . you'll need to use "su -" ( see errata Here )B) Bruno

By that do you mean that you can't launch kwrite at all? If so something is wrong with the Mandy install. Have you tried another editor? You should have several.And you didn't really answer the question about the bootloader for PCLos. I didn't ask where the distro was installed but rather where, and which, bootloader you had it install. Some distros give you a choice of either Lilo or Grub while some will only allow one or the other. And they all give you choice as where to install them. MRB, or the boot sector of a partition of your choice.
Sorry, Lewmur, I thought the title of the topic indicated which bootloader I had used. The grub bootloader was installed in the root partition.

So, that is "su space dash" on the first line and the last line may spit out a lot of lines first but kwrite should pop up after that.There is a funny *bug* in MDV 2009 that makes that you can not use "su" or "kdesu" if you want to start a GUI program as root . . . you'll need to use "su -" ( see errata Here ):thumbsup: Bruno

As usual, Bruno, you've hit the nail on the head. This bug was the problem. I successfully put PcLOS in my Mandriva grub entry. Yeah !!!! Many thanks. B) B)

As usual, Bruno, you've hit the nail on the head. This bug was the problem. I successfully put PcLOS in my Mandriva grub entry. Yeah !!!! Many thanks. B) :thumbsup:
You're welcome ! Glad you were able to add PCLos to the MDV grub. B) :thumbsup: Bruno

So, that is "su space dash" on the first line and the last line may spit out a lot of lines first but kwrite should pop up after that.There is a funny *bug* in MDV 2009 that makes that you can not use "su" or "kdesu" if you want to start a GUI program as root . . . you'll need to use "su -" ( see errata Here )B) Bruno

I don't have Mandy installed anymore but does this mean "su root" no longer works?

I don't have Mandy installed anymore but does this mean "su root" no longer works?
You can do "su", "su -" and "su - root" the second and last one are basically the same. ( Do any of them and after that do "ls" and you will see that only the first one will give the content of the /home/user directory . . . the other 2 show the content of the /root directory )B) Bruno

Bruno, I'm always impressed with your expertise! You must spend all your spare time reading the bug reports because you know exactly what the bug is and the workaround! clap.gif

You can do "su", "su -" and "su - root" the second and last one are basically the same. ( Do any of them and after that do "ls" and you will see that only the first one will give the content of the /home/user directory . . . the other 2 show the content of the /root directory )B) Bruno
So, if he had done as I first suggested and typed "su root" instead of just "su," then kwrite should have worked? Edited by lewmur

So, if he had done as I first suggested and typed "su root" instead of just "su," then kwrite should have worked?
Yep it indeed should have worked. ;)B) Bruno

So, if he had done as I first suggested and typed "su root" instead of just "su," then kwrite should have worked?
Lewmur, if the "he" you mention is me then I should point out that I'm a female. Secondly kwrite only worked when I put su - I tried your suggestion and it didn't work - as I told you.

Lewmur, if the "he" you mention is me then I should point out that I'm a female. Secondly kwrite only worked when I put su - I tried your suggestion and it didn't work - as I told you.
My apologies. No offense intended and I wasn't doubting you. I just wanted to clarify things with Bruno to make sure I wasn't handing out bad advice. As you can see from his reply, "su root" should have solved the problem.
:thumbsup: it can happen lew... B)
I know. I made the same mistake in reverse in addressing Peachy. :thumbsup:

No offense taken, Lewmur. I'll be glad when the new Mandy is released. I've found this one to be a bit of a pain in several respects.