FTP Download woes - Filezilla

Grogerf

Hallo Folks,I'm trying to download Mandriva 2009 powerpack i586 from the Australian Mandriva site using Filezilla as I mentioned here http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...mp;hl=filezillaThe download started OK, but stopped due to a power failure at 3.0 G :oops: . I've tried re-starting Filezilla but it won't resume the download :( :( even though the "Exists Action" has been set to "Resume" every time I've started Filezilla. (Seems you have to do this each time the program is started.)I've tried to re-start twice, the log from the last failure is below. I do have over 10G of available space on the home partition, so I can't understand the NULL space comment at all.Mandriva Australia have been very helpful :( :thumbsup: and have suggested that my connection speed might just be too low. They've even offered to send the DVD with a refund of the DVD/subscription price difference :D However I'd like to get the download resumed successfully & burn the DVD if at all possible. (It's been suggested that it would be better to use a 'high density' (dual layer?) blank to do the burn as the file is so large (4.69 G) - any experience on this gratefully received :thumbsup: )Filezilla is supposed to have a resume capability, but I can't get it to work :( B) If the Filezilla resume won't work would it be possible to use another FTP :medic: client to resume from where Filezilla left off?Living in hope of a solution ;) GrogerfHere is the log :-Status: Connecting to xx.xx.xx.xxx:xx...Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.1 Server (EV) [72.52.65.181]Command: USER xxxxxxxResponse: 331 Password required for ???????Command: PASS ********Response: 230 User far0108 logged inCommand: SYSTResponse: 215 UNIX Type: L8Command: FEATResponse: 211-Features:Response: MDTMResponse: REST STREAMResponse: SIZEResponse: 211 EndStatus: ConnectedStatus: Retrieving directory listing...Command: PWDResponse: 257 "/" is the current directoryCommand: TYPE IResponse: 200 Type set to ICommand: PASVResponse: 227 Entering Passive Mode (72,52,65,181,212,38).Command: LISTResponse: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file listResponse: 226-Transfer completeResponse: 226 Used {null}MB from {null}MB. You have {null}MB available space.Status: Directory listing successfulStatus: Retrieving directory listing...Command: CWD mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586Response: 250 CWD command successfulCommand: PWDResponse: 257 "/mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586" is the current directoryCommand: PASVResponse: 227 Entering Passive Mode (72,52,65,181,227,215).Command: LISTResponse: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file listResponse: 226-Transfer completeResponse: 226 Used {null}MB from {null}MB. You have {null}MB available space.Status: Directory listing successfulStatus: Retrieving directory listing...Command: PASVResponse: 227 Entering Passive Mode (72,52,65,181,204,250).Command: LISTResponse: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file listResponse: 226-Transfer completeResponse: 226 Used {null}MB from {null}MB. You have {null}MB available space.Status: Directory listing successfulStatus: Connecting to 72.52.65.181:21...Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.1 Server (EV) [72.52.65.181]Command: USER far0108Response: 331 Password required for far0108Command: PASS ********Response: 230 User far0108 logged inStatus: ConnectedStatus: Starting download of /mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586/mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.isoCommand: CWD /mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586/Response: 250 CWD command successfulCommand: PWDResponse: 257 "/mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586" is the current directoryStatus: Testing resume capabilities of serverCommand: TYPE IResponse: 200 Type set to ICommand: PASVResponse: 227 Entering Passive Mode (72,52,65,181,202,195).Command: REST 8986299679Response: 350 Restarting at 8986299679. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transferCommand: RETR mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.isoResponse: 554 mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.iso: invalid REST argumentError: Critical errorStatus: Disconnected from serverEdit 1Maybe I've found the error!Just tried again and the log came ups with this :-Command: PWDResponse: 257 "/mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586" is the current directoryStatus: Testing resume capabilities of serverCommand: TYPE IResponse: 200 Type set to ICommand: PASVResponse: 227 Entering Passive Mode (72,52,65,181,200,8).Command: REST 8986299679Response: 350 Restarting at 8986299679. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transferCommand: RETR mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.isoResponse: 554 mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.iso: invalid REST argumentError: Critical errorStatus: Disconnected from serverI think that the problem is this line REST 8986299679 - way bigger than the whole file!!BUT the partial downloaded file size is 3177381888So maybe i need to correct that line but how?

Edited by Grogerf

Mandriva Australia have been very helpful B) ;) and have suggested that my connection speed might just be too low. They've even offered to send the DVD with a refund of the DVD/subscription price difference :(
That is a very nice offer of them ! And maybe a good solution if other ways of download fail.I have no experience at all with the Windows Filezilla software so have no way of how I could help you there. . . . . but could it be that you are downloading to a FAT32 partition and that the file is to large for FAT ?:thumbsup: Bruno

That is a very nice offer of them ! And maybe a good solution if other ways of download fail.I have no experience at all with the Windows Filezilla software so have no way of how I could help you there. . . . . but could it be that you are downloading to a FAT32 partition and that the file is to large for FAT ?B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno,It's Linux - Mandriva 2008 and I think that the filezilla came as part of the distribution. I found this :-http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/wget-resume-broken-download.html But when I tried this line of code (the xx etc represent the actual address used):-$ wget-c http://ftp.xx.xx.xx.xxx/mandriva-linux-pwp...09-dvd-i586.iso the response is bash: $: command not found.I'm obviously missing something fundamental here - I should add a username and password.I can see from the help file that --ftp-user=USER and --ftp-password=PASS set the username and password, but I'm not exactly sure how to use them or how to navigate the directory structure on the server from the command line.I'd really like to rescue this download and this way looks hopeful!Grogerf

Hallo striker :thumbsup: Thank you for your reply :thumbsup: I'm sure the drama was caused by the power-down in the middle of things. I think that the failure to resume on restarting the hole system etc etc is due to a screwed up restore command being sent by the ftp manager - it's trying to do the resume but it's trying to start way beyond the end of the file at 8.9 G or thereabouts!If I can get the correct command line worked out for the command line ftp program 'wget' , I think that there's a good chance that I can resume the download from where it's got to without having to start all over again. If nothing else it will be a good learning platform!Looking forward to taming the cli for this job!Grogerf

Yep indeed the space is important !Basically it boils down to this:WgetPicture.png -c --http-user=bruno --http-password=123456 http://ftp.xx.xx.xx.xxx/mandriva-linux-pwp...09-dvd-i586.iso( I used the address you posted . . . it is an http address and not an ftp address . . . so in the command you need to use the --http-user= and --http-password= ):thumbsup: BrunoPS: I never use filezilla in Linux . . . . . if I want a GUI tool for downloading I would use "kget" . . . in some cases it can resume too ( don't know why in some cases it doesn't do resume :thumbsup: )

Yep indeed the space is important !Basically it boils down to this:WgetPicture.png -c --http-user=bruno --http-password=123456 http://ftp.xx.xx.xx.xxx/mandriva-linux-pwp...09-dvd-i586.iso( I used the address you posted . . . it is an http address and not an ftp address . . . so in the command you need to use the --http-user= and --http-password= )B) BrunoPS: I never use filezilla in Linux . . . . . if I want a GUI tool for downloading I would use "kget" . . . in some cases it can resume too ( don't know why in some cases it doesn't do resume ;) )
Hallo Bruno :thumbsup: At least I feel I'm making progress now :thumbsup: I entered this command :-[roger@grandpa 2009]$ *get -c --ftp-user=roger --ftp-password=password ftp://ftp.xx.xx.xx.xxx/mandriva-linux-pwp...09-dvd-i586.iso (the * represents 'w' the board won't let me post the command with the 'w' in it)and the result was :---11:31:21-- ftp://ftp.xx.xx.xx.xxx/mandriva-linux-pwp...09-dvd-i586.iso => `mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.iso'Resolving ftp.xx.xx.xx.xxx... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.[roger@grandpa 2009]$ So it looks like I'm almost there :) , but that I need to resolve the name resolution :o - whatever that is - maybe the directory structure?Grogerf

Just a long shot, but you didn't actually put all the xxs in the command? Hopefully you just put them there so you didn't have to post the real IP address on the forum.Bit hot in Olde Melbourne Towne today - 32C already. Must be hotter in the sticks. :thumbsup: Also it's curious that of the maybe 3-4 people on this forum from round these parts, 2 of us are called Roger. B) :thumbsup: ;)

Just a long shot, but you didn't actually put all the xxs in the command? Hopefully you just put them there so you didn't have to post the real IP address on the forum.Bit hot in Olde Melbourne Towne today - 32C already. Must be hotter in the sticks. B) Also it's curious that of the maybe 3-4 people on this forum from round these parts, 2 of us are called Roger. :) :thumbsup: :)
Hallo sunrat :) Yes - the xxx's are just as an indication of the real IP address ;) :o Bit hotter on, or close to the Murray - our Max/Min job is currently showing about 3 degrees higher (in the shade) and it's not yet the hottest part of the day. The 'official Bureau site is showing a bit cooler - but it's located out of town in a known cold area - always gets the worst frost in that frost pocket! We've got cracks in the back yard from 3-4 years ago due to the drought.Roger from Groger :thumbsup:

Resolving ftp.xx.xx.xx.xxx... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
This usually means there is an error in the URL . . . . :thumbsup: Bruno

This usually means there is an error in the URL . . . . B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D ,Thanks ;) I'll check the URL and the directory structure on the server and see if I can get it to work ;) If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to take up the excellent offer from Mandriva Australia :hysterical: :D and go for the mailed DVD's - either way the exercise has been worthwhile :thumbsdown: I've learned a bit :whistling: :thumbsup: and I know to steer clear of Filezilla in the future.Thanks again for all your help :thumbsup: - got me into using the cli again after a long pause :thumbsup: :hysterical: Groger

Hallo Bruno :D ,Thanks ;) I'll check the URL and the directory structure on the server and see if I can get it to work ;) If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to take up the excellent offer from Mandriva Australia :hysterical: B) and go for the mailed DVD's - either way the exercise has been worthwhile :thumbsdown: I've learned a bit :whistling: :thumbsup: and I know to steer clear of Filezilla in the future.Thanks again for all your help :thumbsup: - got me into using the cli again after a long pause :thumbsup: :hysterical: Groger
If the URL won't resolve, the directory structure and FTP client won't even figure in the equation. :D Edited by sunrat

Too bad we can't send degrees over the internet. I know a guy in Iowa shivering at -5 degrees F (about 20 below zero Celsius) who would gladly trade a few gigs of cold air for some of your warm air.Those low temps are headed to Pennsylvania later this week so I'll think of all my friends in OZ suffering heat waves and maybe it will warm me up a tad.

Edited by zlim

Too bad we can't send degrees over the internet. I know a guy in Iowa shivering at -5 degrees F (about 20 below zero Celsius) who would gladly trade a few gigs of cold air for some of your warm air.Those low temps are headed to Pennsylvania later this week so I'll think of all my friends in OZ suffering heat waves and maybe it will warm me up a tad.
Maybe we can all download millions of copies of Windoze 7 Beta and the server overload will help warm y'all up. :thumbsup:

Maybe we can all download millions of copies of Windoze 7 Beta and the server overload will help warm y'all up. :thumbsup:
Hallo All :thumbsup: ,We had 43 Celsius today - quite warm - be happy to send it elsewhere for a day or two :whistling: Finally got the download to resume ;) using this code once I'd changed to the directory with the partially downloaded file (the square brackets weren't used in the code):-$ [wget] -c --ftp-user=USER --ftp-password=PASSWORD ftp://xx.xx.xx.xxx//mandriva-linux-pwp-20...09-dvd-i586.isoThe response was :---10:45:08-- ftp://xx.xx.xx.xxx//mandriva-linux-pwp-20...09-dvd-i586.iso => `mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.iso'Connecting to xx.xx.xx.xxx:21... connected.Logging in as USER ... Logged in!==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586 ... done.==> SIZE mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.iso ... done.==> PASV ... done. ==> REST 3177381888 ... done.==> RETR mandriva-linux-pwp-2009-dvd-i586.iso ... done.Length: 4,691,332,384 (4.4G), 1,513,950,496 (1.4G) remaining100%[++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=========================>] 4,691,332,384 51.99K/s ETA 00:00So far so good :hysterical: BUT when I checked the md5 it was wrong ;) :thumbsup: :hysterical: Moral of the story - you can use [wget] to resume a download :thumbsdown: - however there is no guarantee that the download will be correct :D Grogerf

Sorry to hear the md5 was wrong. The power outage must have caused some bad data to be written. I read in the man page that [wget] may include a rollback option in the future to write over a certain amount of the partial file to try to avoid this problem. We also should have mentioned to run it from the d/l directory. :hysterical: Well at least you know how to use [wget] now. I have it set up with Flashgot in Firefox as default d/l manager and it works great. ;) And wow - 43C is hot! Our cool change came early and it only reached about 33C. :thumbsup:

Glad you did find the correct command to do the download ! Nice Job.

Moral of the story - you can use [wget] to resume a download :hysterical: - however there is no guarantee that the download will be correct :(
Maybe the fact that the first part of the download was not done with "wget" could play a part in this. When it comes to ISOs I would not trust any download done in parts . . . I think IF you are going to download an ISO in parts it would be better to use bittorrent because it checks the integrity of each downloaded bit.:hysterical: Bruno

Glad you did find the correct command to do the download ! Nice Job. Maybe the fact that the first part of the download was not done with "wget" could play a part in this. When it comes to ISOs I would not trust any download done in parts . . . I think IF you are going to download an ISO in parts it would be better to use bittorrent because it checks the integrity of each downloaded bit.B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :( Thanks for your kind words :hysterical: At least I learned a bit :thumbsup: I haven't had any trouble with ISO downloads using bittorrent :thumbsup: - even when they've been very slow.I'll have to do some reading on how the ftp process works, but it does seem that the data integrity checks don't always handle an interrupt :hysterical: Grogerf