Adding files to ISO file

mthompso

Is there such a Linux program to add files to an existing ISO file?
Uhmmm... not sure if that's a yes or a no. I've been using Slax [distro] for a couple years now, and it is easily re-mastered -- which involves copying the content of a cd or iso to a subdir -- after which you add or subtract or change files as you like -- and then run a script to make a new iso from the subdir contents. Slax comes with linux and windows scripts and utils to make this remaster step very easy. Anyway, the command that does the actual work of making a new iso is 'mkisofs' -- you probably have the man page for that. I suspect that the Slax script would work on any distro -- if you want to see how it's done. [names are make_iso.sh and make_iso.bat] Obviously, the result has to be of a size that will fit onto your chosen media. So ... does that satisfy adding files to an iso? I dunno any other way to do it.

There are utilities in linux that will allow you to "mount" the iso as part of your filesystem, copy them to a directory for work, and then make a new iso of that working directory.As far as a simple "append this file into this iso".... I do not think such a program exists. I may be completely wrong though

As far as a simple "append this file into this iso".... I do not think such a program exists. I may be completely wrong though
Thinking about this a bit more ... there may be an 'end-run' way to do what the poster at the head of the thread appears to want -- If you declare the initial burn of the .iso file to be the first session of a multisession burn, then you can indeed come along later and add more files to it, or even overwrite old files and directory trees on the cdr/dvd with new content. K3b has a button to do this -- on the Advanced screen. And if you use a command line [check man growisofs] to make the initial burn, then you can put your iso intended for cdr onto a dvd blank -- leaving a huge space for later modifications. A caveat to this is that some puters won't boot an unclosed multisession disk. My desktops will boot such a disk no problem, but neither laptop here will.

Hi mthompsoI would use Adam's suggestion: it is called Looping an ISO . . . . next copy all the files to a working directory and add the files you want to add/edit. Finally make a new ISO with:

# mkisofs -R -o <name_new.iso> <directory_where_the_files_are>

:hysterical: Bruno