Problems with the forum???

mhbell

So, I'm curious, what's the general feeling now? Are the forums slow, is it an intermittent thing? Are some of you having the problem all the time?-- Scot
I log onto the forum several times a day and often at night. It is slow at all different times and page redraws sometime take up to 30 seconds or more. This does not happen all of the time. I have also noticed that if 2 or more people are viewing or posting on the same thread that it can take minutes. It seems to be worse at different times. Have not been able to establish a distict pattern.Mel :blink:

The control panel from my webhost shows that "server load" is very high, at least this AM. I have entered a trouble ticket. Unfortunately, the result could mean that we will be moved to another server. Usually when that happens we have both downtime and issues afterward. It would be the fourth time we've been moved in a year. -- Scot

There seems to be some missing data? Posts and such--Gone??
Just dropped in for my daily "three words that make (no) sense" and find some missing!Took ages for this to open too.Bushfires surrounding us, maybe it's the heat! B)

Scot told the Admins and Mods that we may lose at least a day of postings because of a catastrophic hardware failure at the hosting provider's end. It looks like we lost 3 days of postings.

Edited by Peachy

They claim to do nightly backups. I guess we'll see.Come on, you guys still remember what you've posted in the last 3 days, don't you? Just repost it all. B)

Come on, you guys still remember what you've posted in the last 3 days, don't you? Just repost it all
I tried but it seems to be all tangled up see:
adjfkaufona ajfioa fal fafpa ld alfvad;ajfoia akljladk kdfjao adjkf abnal;cofeckl ;2uieiu asdja;sduioarj jakuvlakn ljfaup al akdjafj;dfj afakd fodfjgjthor haeho gjlajri eja
Seriously though glad to see the forum back up B) had me worried there for a bit.

The forums I host and run do hourly differential backups with nightly ones as well as a weekly one taken off site. The hourly differentials not only get saved, verified and logged but encrypted, compressed and then FTPed to 3 other servers in 3 different states. A tad anal but we don't "loose" data.

Edited by Marsden11

Sorry, folks, we did lose two days of data due to a catastrophic hardware failure. My webhost is very apologetic, for whatever it's worth (not much).-- Scot

I'm sure they did all what was within their powers to resurrect the forums. We'll get over it. B) Let's just say "we have a new lift off" and go from here. B)

If two days were lost does that mean the I have to post triple the nonsense today to get up to speed?On a serious note, I did go to Scot's main website and kept seeing the green light for the forum so I sent an email to the webmaster just in case he wasn't aware of the problem. The email bounced. Is there a special email address we should use if we notice a problem?

Guest LilBambi

Nice to see the forums back up and running. :tnumbsup:Glad it's only a two day loss. Since the hardware failing caused problems with the backups for those two days, it's quite understandable how that could happen.We can be thankful the intermittent hardware problem failed gloriously before more days of posting were lost.Intermittent electronic problems are the worst!

Sorry, folks, we did lose two days of data due to a catastrophic hardware failure. My webhost is very apologetic, for whatever it's worth (not much).-- Scot
So that was why i got some old PM's sent to me once again. :PAlso i had to change my signature. :\

On a serious note, I did go to Scot's main website and kept seeing the green light for the forum so I sent an email to the webmaster just in case he wasn't aware of the problem. The email bounced. Is there a special email address we should use if we notice a problem?
Two-part answer because this is an important two-part comment/question:1. About the green light about forums/web status here:http://www.scotfinnie.com/status.htmTo be honest, I think I should just take this page down. The last thing I'm likely to do is manually update that page when there's some problem on the Forums or my webhost. I'm usually busy trying to squeeze fixing the forums into whatever else it is I'm already doing at that time. Bottom line is this: Scot's Newsletter and Scot's Newsletter Forums are not run by a staff of people on salary. It's me, occasionally Cyndy, and all our generous, kinds, and intelligent Admins and Mods.I put the status Green Light up there at the request of a few forums regulars, but I warned at the time that I couldn't promise that I would remember to change the light. But I think I would remember to do that if there was a 2-day or longer outage. For anything less than 2 days, I'm unlikely to make the change.Given that information, do you think it's better that I remove this "status" page?2. I am not currently prepared to accept email somewhere else concerning the forums or websites. And it's true that Scot's Newsletter, Scots Newsletter Forums, and LinuxClues are all running on the same IPS server that went down. So all my official email addresses are down. (Even worse, this time, I just lost 18 hours of email. Apparently, the email went before the Web server.) However, it is a great idea for me to create a way to do this. Let me think about it and I'll get publish whatever fix I come up with.-- Scot

I would say remove the status page, here's why :

I put the status Green Light up there at the request of a few forums regulars, but I warned at the time that I couldn't promise that I would remember to change the light. But I think I would remember to do that if there was a 2-day or longer outage. For anything less than 2 days, I'm unlikely to make the change.
Obviously it's of no use with short outages. And if the outages are longer, the board throws up a message with the reason why it is down. Ok, this can take a couple of hours, but eventually the message will be there.I saw it a few days ago with the last outage and it clearly stated what was going on, what was being done about it and how much time it would probably take for the forums to be back on. To me it looked very good : I then knew what was going on and just had to be patient. (and you had us informed a few days earlier that some service could take place due to the trouble ticket you issued.)I think that's enough.

Scot, by all means, save yourself more work and headaches - remove the status of the forum page. At first, I thought it might be my computer with the problem. I only emailed when I figured maybe you were not aware there was a problem. I should have known better. The "on top of everything" admins here probably already let you know and that is good enough for me.

One other point that I'll pass along: IPS does a backup every single night. The reason we lost two days of data is that the last two backups were corrupt because of the state of the hardware. IPS tried both sets and then decided it was smarter to go back to the third night's backup. I agreed with that decision.-- Scot

From 10am PST on until early this early afternoon all I could get was Google adds and nothing else. Interesting how google adds show up but no other php code was displayed...