Problems with the forum???

mhbell

Is anyone else having problems with the forum pages refreshing very very slow? Takes a long time to get on the forum and in my last reply the quoting

and
and wasn't working. it has been slow for several days now and I have tried 3 different browsers as well as Linux and Windows. Something seems to be wrong are the servers overloaded again..Mel :thumbsup:

hmmm been running here fine every time I have been to it.
Well I am in Arizona and have a Hi Speed connection with adelphia cable 1.5 to 3.0 mbs and for the past few days the forum has taken a long time to come up longer than normal for my connection. It may be adelphia although all of the other sites that I visit seem to be OK. will do a little more checking to see..Mel :w00t:

I was having some slowing issues about a week ago. Things seem to have picked up lately though.That's just on this site, I might add...
It seems to be faster this morning. I am begining to think maybe a resource or memory leak, But then all sites should be affected. I don't know maybe the SFF server was over loaded although there were only a few people in ATL while I was on..Mel :w00t:

No problems here. :hysterical:
You're right Mel, sometimes it just seems to hang as if it where taking a cup of coffee, and then all of a sudden it's there. Yesterday night it was ok, yesterday during the day ... well, not so great, and now tonight : well something in between, but managable. But I'm located overseas (dsl connection) and maybe the servers are busy. It happened during last month now and then. Edited by striker

I am having similar problems. I have 1500 ADSL and it is taking over a minute to bring up the opening page. This has happened several times recently.

Guest LilBambi

No slow downs here, but then being on dialup, all sites are kinda slow for me. :hysterical: We will keep an eye on this.Thanks for the heads up from those who have experienced this problem, and also for the confirmations that some are not experiencing this as well.I am not sure why there would be a difference between those who are experiencing the usual, and those who are experiencing intermittent problems.But we will keep an eye on it.I will see if I can optimize the database and see if that helps.

You are very welcome.A couple hours ago I optimized the forum's database tables.Hope it helped for those that were having issues.Please let us know.
It seems to be working better now Fran. However it seemed to be going in spurts one minute working fine and the next very slow. so far this evening here in Arizona USA it is working fine. But earlier it was slow will keep you posted. ThanksMel :devil:

My first ever problem here. 1:03pm EST and in two sections when I click on a thread, I'm getting a blank white page. I opened a blank tab and went elsewhere to be sure it wasn't on my end. Other pages elsewhere load fine.Short-lived. In 3 minutes, it was back to its normal zippy self.

Edited by zlim

• 2 weeks later...

Slow at present 7pm ET; earlier pages refused to load at all. I'm on a fast cable connection so I'm sure anyone on dialup will time out.

Slow at present 7pm ET; earlier pages refused to load at all. I'm on a fast cable connection so I'm sure anyone on dialup will time out.
I have to agree it has been very very slow for the past 2 days here in Arizona. I checked my Hi speed link and I have a 2.7 Mega Bit speed and the bandwidth never goes below 1.5 Mb. I checked with my other computers and get the same thing. So it is the forum.Mel :drooling: PS maybe it is all of the traffic so many are trying to switch to Linux in view of the WMF security bobbel.. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone notice a problem with their own avatar but nobody else's? In my case, my avatar has somehow migrated to the blue block below each member's post in each thread. It sits directly to the left of the delete button.

Anyone notice a problem with their own avatar but nobody else's? In my case, my avatar has somehow migrated to the blue block below each member's post in each thread. It sits directly to the left of the delete button.
Have not had that problem yet, But I have to agree with Gary as the forum has been slow at all different times day and night for several weeks now. I did discover that when there are more than one user in the same thread it seems to freeze and page redraws take forever. The other day Bruno Myself and another person were all trying to write messages in the same thread and I had to kill the browser so that I could get out of the forum. There is something definatley wrong with the forum as I don't have this problem in the dozen or so other forums that I belong to.Mel ;)

Guest LilBambi

Optimized the database ... all appeared to be fine from there. Hope it helps.Peachy, could you clear cache and see if it is fixed now?Not having that problem here either.

Edited by LilBambi

I have noticed from time to time that the Google ad server sometimes makes pages take a long time to report being loaded. Most of the page is loaded, but it still keeps trying to finish. This is an intermittent problem, having nothing to do with our site, that's totally on Google's end of things. Does this sound like the performance problems people are having? Or is it something different?Also, everyone, SNF will be upgrading to a new version of the forum software in the near future. Not sure when, exactly, but within a week or so.-- Scot

Sounds very familiar to me, the page loads for say 99 percent and all is visible, but the last 1 percent to load takes a great bunch of time. First I thought it was due to some member avatars not stored on the server (i.e. hosted at imageshack) but that was not the actual culprit. Especially tonight it's slow (I'm in Europe).

Wow, a direct responce form himself ... :D Sorry to say Scot but no ... I see the "loading google ad thing" and nothing on the screen until it's finished, can take 45sec ... it does not occure that often.It is the only slowdown I experence ... UK based, Linux & FF. :)

So, I'm curious, what's the general feeling now? Are the forums slow, is it an intermittent thing? Are some of you having the problem all the time?-- Scot

I've noticed a number of sites that have problems fully loading thanks to AdSense. But I haven't been aware of it here.I have seen that opening a page full of graphics hosted on a variety of other servers will often delay its loading. But that, too, is common to other sites and is only to be expected.Still, we appreciate being advised when members do experience problems of any kind.